Tuesday 19 May 2009

Battle of Quiberon Bay


I’m just gutted because despite all my wheedling, I’ve missed the opportunity to get my hands on tickets for this amazing operatic event, which is showing next week at Bath International Festival. Marking Handel’s death and the year of an important naval battle (1759), Alcina Chorus and Ensemble, with some help from Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team, are actually recreating the Battle of Quiberon Bay in one of the historic Roman baths. Expect ‘sea shanties, music from Handel's operas (directed by Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment conductor Robert Howarth) and Handel's Water Music, radio-controlled models of 18th-century ships, fireworks and more’. It’s sold out, so if you don’t already have tickets in your clammy hands, then you’ll miss this awesome event. Booo!

 Subscribe now!

7 comments:

Halldor said...

This looks beyond amazing.
It's made of awesome.

They simply MUST repeat it!

Mrs Woffington said...

I know, I'm gutted...

Eliza Ward said...

Awh, sorry you missed out!

By the way I like the photos from your day-trip. I've been busy the past few days and hadn't had a chance to drop by til now, but that looked like a fun visit--especially the Greek Revival building and cake!

highlandwriter said...

Incredible and of interest & intrigue...

So sorry you didn't get tickets.

Hang in there...

:-)

Mrs Woffington said...

Thanks Eliza and highlandwriter - hope to get some more Georgian day trips under my belt once the weather gets better. Maybe even a trip to Drottningholm Palace for the opera, if finances can stretch.

W. A. Mozart said...

Most unfortunate! My condolences.

Mrs Woffington said...

Thank you Herr Mozart, by coincidence I have just this minute finished writing a little piece about your early work, Mitridate, rè di Ponto. It must be a lucky sign.